Prep 5 mins
Cook 1 hr 10 mins
An easy and tasty burger for blue cheese lovers!
- 2 large portabella mushroom caps, stemmed
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh garlic
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup crumbled blue cheese or 1⁄4 cup gorgonzola
- 2 tablespoons light mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
- 2 whole wheat hamburger buns, split
- romaine lettuce leaf
- 2 slices tomatoes
- Scrape gills from mushroom caps.
- Combine 3 tablespoons vinegar, oil, and next 3 ingredients in a shallow dish or large zip-top plastic freezer bag; add mushrooms, turning to coat. Cover or seal, and chill 1 hour, turning occasionally. Remove mushrooms from marinade, discarding marinade.
- Grill mushrooms, covered with grill lid, over medium-high heat (350° to 400°) 3 to 4 minutes on each side or until tender. Remove mushrooms from grill, and immediately sprinkle undersides evenly with blue cheese.
- Stir together mayonnaise and 1 teaspoon vinegar. Spread mixture evenly on cut sides of buns; place lettuce, mushrooms, and tomato slices on bottom halves of buns, and cover with tops. Serve immediately.
The marinade and grilling make the portabellas so delicious. Even though I love blue cheese, I think it and the toppings almost distract from that wonderfulness. Still a very good burger though!
Now that's a burger! Ran out of lettuce, so I used half basil leaves and half lettuce. Made sure the garlic was good and toasty/burnt like I like it.. and marinated (in a ziplock)the caps overnight instead of an hour (since I had to go to the store the next day for the cheese). Grilled the caps & buns on an iron Lodge grill.