Recipe by ratherbeswimmin'
1994 Grand Prize Winner, Build a Better Burger Contest. Kurt Wait, Redwood City, California.
Sun-Dried Tomato Mayonnaise
- 1⁄3 cup mayonnaise
- 1⁄4 cup chopped sun-dried tomato packed in oil, drained
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh thyme
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄4 cup zinfandel
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 4 portabella mushrooms, stems removed
- 1 1⁄2 lbs ground chuck
- 3 tablespoons zinfandel
- 2 shallots, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- 4 round focaccia rolls, split (or onion rolls)
- 16 arugula leaves
- 1⁄2 cup fresh goat cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Prepare a med-hot fire in a charcoal grill with a cover; or preheat a gas grill to medium-high.
- To make the mayonnaise: in a small bowl, mix together the mayo and sun-dried tomatoes; cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.
- To make the spice mixture: combine all the spice mixture ingredients in a small bowl; set aside.
- To make the grilled portobellos: Combine Zinfandel, olive oil, lemon zest, and 1 tablespoon spice mixture in a shallow bowl; whisk to blend well.
- Add in the mushrooms and turn to coat with the marinade; set aside.
- To make the patties: combine the ground chuck, Zinfandel, shallots, cumin, cayenne, and remaining spice mixture in a big bowl.
- Handling the meat as little as possible to avoid compacting, mix well.
- Divide the mixture into 4 equal portions; form portions into patties to fit the rolls.
- Drain mushrooms, reserving the marinade.
- When the grill is ready, brush grill rack with vegetable oil.
- Place the patties and the mushrooms on the rack, cover, and cook, turning once, until the patties are done to preference—5 to 7 minutes per side for medium, and the mushrooms 6 to 10 minutes or until tender; brush the mushrooms frequently with marinade.
- During the last few minutes of cooking, place the rolls, cut side down, on the outer edges of the grill to toast lightly.
- To assemble: spread the mayonnaise over the cut sides of the rolls.
- On each roll bottom, place 4 arugula leaves, a patty, 2 tablespoons of the goat cheese, and a mushroom; add roll tops and serve.