1994 Grand Prize Winner, Build a Better Burger Contest. Kurt Wait, Redwood City, California.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
Sun-Dried Tomato Mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh thyme
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup zinfandel
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 4 portabella mushrooms, stems removed
- 1Prepare a med-hot fire in a charcoal grill with a cover; or preheat a gas grill to medium-high.
- 2To make the mayonnaise: in a small bowl, mix together the mayo and sun-dried tomatoes; cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.
- 3To make the spice mixture: combine all the spice mixture ingredients in a small bowl; set aside.
- 4To make the grilled portobellos: Combine Zinfandel, olive oil, lemon zest, and 1 tablespoon spice mixture in a shallow bowl; whisk to blend well.
- 5Add in the mushrooms and turn to coat with the marinade; set aside.
- 6To make the patties: combine the ground chuck, Zinfandel, shallots, cumin, cayenne, and remaining spice mixture in a big bowl.
- 7Handling the meat as little as possible to avoid compacting, mix well.
- 8Divide the mixture into 4 equal portions; form portions into patties to fit the rolls.
- 9Drain mushrooms, reserving the marinade.
- 10When the grill is ready, brush grill rack with vegetable oil.
- 11Place the patties and the mushrooms on the rack, cover, and cook, turning once, until the patties are done to preference—5 to 7 minutes per side for medium, and the mushrooms 6 to 10 minutes or until tender; brush the mushrooms frequently with marinade.
- 12During the last few minutes of cooking, place the rolls, cut side down, on the outer edges of the grill to toast lightly.
- 13To assemble: spread the mayonnaise over the cut sides of the rolls.
- 14On each roll bottom, place 4 arugula leaves, a patty, 2 tablespoons of the goat cheese, and a mushroom; add roll tops and serve.
Browse Our Top Mushroom Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Mushroom Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Portabella Burgers
Serving Size: 1 (379 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 518.0
- Calories from Fat 263
- Total Fat 29.2 g
- Saturated Fat 7.5 g
- Cholesterol 115.6 mg
- Sodium 883.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 15.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.3 g
- Sugars 3.5 g
- Protein 36.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
fresh goat cheese