Recipe by chia
This is wonderful for the holidays! I got a similar recipe from Gourmet magazine several years ago. It tastes even better the next day. If making this for passover, you may substitute potato starch for the flour, or just leave it out entirely.
Top Review by DDW
Oh the aroma the house had while this was baking - YUM! Dh couldn't wait to eat this dish and the taste was just as wonderful as the smell. Very easy to prepare and make. I suggest shoving the mushrooms down in the liquid so they cook a bit more. I cut my slices pretty thick so those not in the liquid weren't quite as cooked as I would have liked. It's a keeper - thanks Chia!
- 1 cup dry red wine
- 1 cup beef broth
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 4 lbs beef brisket, flat cut
- 2 tablespoons rosemary
- 1 cup dried cranberries
- 12 ounces portabella mushrooms, sliced
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 300°F.
- Mix first 5 ingredients in a roasting pan.
- Salt and pepper brisket on both sides; add to pan fat side up.
- Cover tightly with heavy duty foil and bake for 3 1/2 hours.
- Cool brisket at room temp for 1 hour; slice, and add back to pan.
- Bring oven to 350°F; add cranberries and mushrooms. Bake for 30-40 minutes.