Prep 5 mins
Cook 5 hrs
This is wonderful for the holidays! I got a similar recipe from Gourmet magazine several years ago. It tastes even better the next day. If making this for passover, you may substitute potato starch for the flour, or just leave it out entirely.
- Preheat oven to 300°F.
- Mix first 5 ingredients in a roasting pan.
- Salt and pepper brisket on both sides; add to pan fat side up.
- Cover tightly with heavy duty foil and bake for 3 1/2 hours.
- Cool brisket at room temp for 1 hour; slice, and add back to pan.
- Bring oven to 350°F; add cranberries and mushrooms. Bake for 30-40 minutes.
Oh the aroma the house had while this was baking - YUM! Dh couldn't wait to eat this dish and the taste was just as wonderful as the smell. Very easy to prepare and make. I suggest shoving the mushrooms down in the liquid so they cook a bit more. I cut my slices pretty thick so those not in the liquid weren't quite as cooked as I would have liked. It's a keeper - thanks Chia!
Love, love, love this recipe! I have been making it for a few years and the meat is always tender and delicious! I leave out the cranberries (personal preference) and add 4 potatoes (cut into 1/8's) and about 5 carrots, peeled and sliced. I use regular mushrooms. Thanks so much for posting this recipe, Chia. I had been looking for one without ketchup and I am so glad I found this one!!! Wish I could give it more than 5 stars : )
We found this recipe to be tasteless.