Recipe by Sharon123
This is a healthy casserole that is great for breakfast! This can be made the evening before and cooked the next morning. Adapted from Women's Health magazine.
- 2 cups chopped portabella mushrooms
- 2 medium garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄2 small red onion, sliced
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh rosemary
- 2 slices light whole wheat bread, cut into small cubes (not grainy)
- 4 ounces low-fat cheddar cheese, finely grated
- 2 cups egg substitute (or 8 eggs)
- 1⁄4 cup low-fat milk
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Spray a 10" frying pan and place over medium heat. Add mushrooms, garlic, onion, and rosemary. Cook until tender but not completely done.
- Spray a 1 qt., 6 1/2" round casserole dish. Place half of the bread evenly in dish. Layer in half of the cheese, and then half of the vegetable mixture. Repeat.
- In a large bowl, mix egg substitute, milk, salt and pepper. Pour over bread, cheese, and veggies and cover casserole with plastic wrap. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours or up to overnight.
- Remove plastic wrap and bake the casserole at 350*F. for 45 to 55 minutes or until set in the center. Let stand for 5 minutes. Serve hot.