Prep 30 mins
Cook 15 mins
This is one of my ABSOLUTE favorite recipes. It is completely vegetarian and pretty healthy, if you use reduced fat/cal mayo and provolone cheese. This is my take on a fabulous sandwich I had at a cute little Spanish bistro called Fuego in Atlanta, Georgia
- 2 French rolls
- 2 portabella mushroom caps
- balsamic vinegar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon basil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2⁄3 cup low-fat mayonnaise
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- thyme, to taste
- 1⁄2 sweet onion, sliced
- 1 green pepper, sliced
- 2 slices reduced-fat provolone cheese
- First, wash the shroom caps, de-stem them, and set aside. Now, in a shallow dish, combine balsamic vinegar, oregano, basil, and garlic powder( 1/3 inches in dish and a generous sprinkling of the herbs, should do ya.) Place shroom caps ( gills down) in the dish and swirl the mixture around making sure to get the tops of the caps as well. Now place in the fridge for 30min- 1 hour.
- Preheat broiler to about 450°F.
- While shrooms suck up their flavor, Slice green peppers and onion (fajita style). Sauté them for a few minutes until they start turning soft, set aside.
- Now, combine mayo, garlic, lemon juice and a pich of rosemary( fresh is better) This is now Aioli sauce, set aside for use later.
- TIP: You don't have to, but I always pre-toast my french rolls, otherwise they can get soggy from the shrooms, cheese, etc. I toast all sides except for the bottom of the top half of roll.
- By this time the shrooms are ready, heat a grill pan and spray with olive oil cooking spray. Cook the shrooms over medium heat until tender throughout, about 2 1/2 min on each side. I usually pour some of the marinade over while cooking as well. Transfer caps to an absorbent paper towel (many) to drain excess juices. Cut caps in half.
- Now spread a little mayo on bottom half of roll, then stack, mushrooms, peppers, and onions, then top with the provolone. Arrange on a broiler safe pan ( also put the top of the bun, bottom up so it can toast also) place in oven and watch, should be toasted, and cheese melted in 5 minutes or less.
- Spread mayo on the remaining half of bun. Press together, cut in half, and enjoy. (Goes great with steamed kale).