Adapted from MayoClinic. Very tasty, elegant, low calorie and healthy salad for 2. Just beware...it is tart (You may try adding a couple of Splenda packets to the dressing). It looks like a lot once mounded on the plates but is very low calorie!
- cooking spray
- 2 large portabella mushrooms, stemmed, wiped clean and cut into bite-size pieces
- 1 small red onion, sliced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 6 asparagus spears, cut into 1-inch sections
- 1 tablespoon merlot or 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons blue cheese, crumbled
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon water
- fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- 6 cups red bibb lettuce, torn into bite sized pieces
- 1 (4 ounce) jar roasted red peppers, 2 whole peppers-sliced (I used a jar of Trader Joe's)
- 1⁄2 cup crouton (I used herb and garlic)
- Spray a large non-stick skillet with oil.
- Heat over medium heat.
- Add the Mushrooms, onion, garlic and asparagus and saute until tender, 4-6 minutes.
- Add wine or lemon juice and cook until evaporates completely, about 1 minute.
- In a small bowl whisk together the blue cheese, vinegar, water and black pepper to taste (I use a lot).
- Add 3 cups lettuce to 2 large plates.
- Top each with 1/2 the vegetable saute, 1 roasted red pepper, 1/2 of the whisked dressing and 1/4 cup of croutons.
- Serve Immediately.