Prep 10 mins
Cook 0 mins
Adapted from MayoClinic. Very tasty, elegant, low calorie and healthy salad for 2. Just beware...it is tart (You may try adding a couple of Splenda packets to the dressing). It looks like a lot once mounded on the plates but is very low calorie!
- cooking spray
- 2 large portabella mushrooms, stemmed, wiped clean and cut into bite-size pieces
- 1 small red onion, sliced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 6 asparagus spears, cut into 1-inch sections
- 1 tablespoon merlot or 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons blue cheese, crumbled
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon water
- fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- 6 cups red bibb lettuce, torn into bite sized pieces
- 1 (4 ounce) jar roasted red peppers, 2 whole peppers-sliced (I used a jar of Trader Joe's)
- 1⁄2 cup crouton (I used herb and garlic)
- Spray a large non-stick skillet with oil.
- Heat over medium heat.
- Add the Mushrooms, onion, garlic and asparagus and saute until tender, 4-6 minutes.
- Add wine or lemon juice and cook until evaporates completely, about 1 minute.
- In a small bowl whisk together the blue cheese, vinegar, water and black pepper to taste (I use a lot).
- Add 3 cups lettuce to 2 large plates.
- Top each with 1/2 the vegetable saute, 1 roasted red pepper, 1/2 of the whisked dressing and 1/4 cup of croutons.
- Serve Immediately.
This was OK, but we felt it was rather bland. Also, I agree with the reviewer who said it was sloppy... resulting in soggy croutons if you don't eat them quickly. The ingredients are pretty expensive, so we probably won't make it again.
I love the hot mushroom mixture over salad! The mushroom mixture is good enough to eat on it's own. I agree with adding a lot of black pepper. I used red wine to saute the veggies. I did not make the dressing; instead I used ready made balsamic vinegarette & topped with plenty of blue cheese. A great combination of flavors!
I loved the warm topping over mixed greens! I added a few extra roasted peppers. This made a huge amount and I served it to my family of 3 with a side of crusty bread. I used merlot for the dressing and loved the dressing just as its listed. I wouldn't make any changes - perfect!!