1/5 Photos of Port Wine Spinach Salad With Sweet and Spicy Pecans
Originally created for RSC #10. Nuts and dressing may be prepared ahead of time. You can use all balsamic vinegar for the dressing and skip the lemon, if you desire. If you want to take the bite out of the onions or shallots, you can let them sit in the dressing for about half an hour before serving.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 118.29 ml pecans or 118.29 ml walnuts
- 14.79 ml confectioners' sugar
- 4.92 ml canola oil
- 0.59 ml salt
- 0.59 ml cinnamon (or more)
- 1.23 ml cayenne pepper
- 2839.08 ml spinach or 2839.08 ml baby greens, this dressing sticks better to soft lettuces
- 2 apples, cut into thin wedges (I like to use pink ladies) or 2 pears, cut into wedges
- 28.34 g blue cheese, cut into pieces (or more)
- 0 red onions, cut into eighths and sliced (optional) or 1-2 shallot, minced (optional)
- 1To make dressing, reduce port wine to 3 tablespoons.
- 2Transfer port syrup to another container, and whisk in balsamic vinegar, lemon juice, and olive oil. Dressing may be made in advance, and re-whisked before serving.
- 3Bring water to a boil in a medium pot. Using a strainer or sieve, dip nuts in boiling water for one minute (this removes some of the bitterness).
- 4Transfer nuts to a bowl and immediately sprinkle with sugar. Mix until all of the sugar is melted.
- 5Heat canola oil on medium high heat in a nonstick pan. Sauté nuts for a few minutes. The nuts will become sort of candied.
- 6Scatter nuts on a plate and sprinkle with spices. Toss to coast. Stir occasionally as nuts are cooling. Nuts may be kept for up to one week.
- 7Toss spinach with dressing, and arrange apples, red onions, nuts, and blue cheese over the salad.
Browse Our Top Spinach Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Port Wine Spinach Salad With Sweet and Spicy Pecans
Serving Size: 1 (192 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 378.8
- Calories from Fat 212
- Total Fat 23.5 g
- Saturated Fat 3.7 g
- Cholesterol 5.3 mg
- Sodium 248.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 25.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.0 g
- Sugars 14.7 g
- Protein 5.6 g