Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
Great steak sauce
- 3 (14 ounce) cans beef broth
- 16 ounces ruby port
- 16 ounces red wine
- 1 carrot, cut into large chunks
- 2 stalks celery, cut into large chunks
- 1 onion, cut in half
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1⁄2 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 3 ounces tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon basil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons pepper
- 3⁄4 cup butter
- Add all items except Roux and Butter into a sauce pan, cover and heat over medium heat for approximately 45 minutes.
- Remove vegetables and continue cooking uncovered untill liquid reduces to about a quarter of the volume.
- Mix in a small amount of Roux to slightly thicken sauce, lightly boil for a couple of minutes (should just thinly coat back of spoon).
- Lower heat and add butter to finish sauce (do not let sauce boil after adding the butter).
Fantastic for steaks! To cheat a bit, I used beef stock cubes with no extra fluid, which reduced cooking time quite dramatically.
This is so far superior to any bottled sauce. I completely left out the 3/4 cup of butter and it was great! I grilled filet mignon and topped it with this sauce and Crispy Fried Onion Strings recipe #136653, served over a bed of cheddar mashed potatoes and DH went nuts over it!
WOW!!! Couldn't say enough great things about this recipe. Takes about an hour and a half to cook, but is very easy to make.