Prep 5 mins
Cook 10 hrs
The port wine adds a different flavor to this beef roast. Great served with mashed potatoes and garlic green beans.
- 3 lbs beef chuck roast
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 1⁄2 cup port wine or 1⁄2 cup apple juice
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 3 tablespoons quick-cooking tapioca
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon crushed dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon crushed dried oregano
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- 4 cups hot cooked noodles
- Trim fat from pot roast.
- If necessary, cut roast to fit into a 3 1/2 or 4 quart slow cooker.
- Place meat in slow cooker.
- In a small bowl, combine all other ingredients.
- Cook on Low for 8 to 10 hours or High for 4 to 5 hours.
- Place beef on warm platter.
- Cover with aluminum foil and place in preheat 200 degree oven to keep warm while preparing gravy.
- Skim fat from gravy.
- If you want to thicken it, add 2 Tablespoons of water and cornstarch together; blend well.
- Turn crockpot to high and add cornstarch mixture.
- Serve over sliced beef.
I just love my crockpot and my crockpot loved this!! I used Madera port in this plus a 14 ounce can of tomato sauce. It was terrific. The sauce was abundant and great. I froze the left over sauce for either a rice or noodle topping later. The roast was simply demolished. I seemed to have an Audrey recipy night didn't I?? Glad I did too. Thank you again.