Prep 15 mins
Cook 0 mins
Drizzle this sauce over simple roast chicken, game, beef or vegetarian roasts and you have a gourmet meal. You can use one kind of mushroom or a blend of different varities. I like Shiitake mushrooms in this recipe. Remember the better quality wine and broth you use, the better the finished sauce.
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 1⁄2 cups mushrooms, sliced
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1⁄3 cup port wine
- 1⁄4 cup shallot, minced
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 cup beef broth
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon tomato paste
- 1⁄8 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- In a medium skillet, melt the butter and saute the mushrooms for about 3 minutes, then stir in flour, combining well.
- In another skillet, combine the wine, shallots and vinegar, boiling until thickk, about 3 minutes.
- Reduce heat to medium. Add broth, Worcestershire, tomato paste and rosemary, cooking for 1 minute.
- Add mushroom mixture and cook 3 minutes, stirring constantly, then add mustard to sauce.
- Serve warm.
Excellent! Had over pan-seared pork chops (thin cut) and couscous. Easy and elegant. Next time I will add a bit more port, as I love the tart flavor.
Very nice sauce. Went well with the leg of lamb for Christmas dinner! Thanks for posting this!