Recipe by JenSmith
This recipe comes from the Southern Living 1986 Annual Recipes. It sounds delicious. I'll try it for Thanksgiving or Christmas. Cook time is chill time.
- 1 (16 ounce) can dark sweet cherries, pitted, undrained
- 2 (3 ounce) packages black cherry gelatin
- 1 cup boiling water
- 3⁄4 cup port wine
- 1 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1⁄2 cup pecans, chopped
- 1 cup mayonnaise or 1 cup salad dressing
- 3 tablespoons orange juice
- 1 tablespoon port wine
- 1 tablespoon grated orange rind
Directions See How It's Made
- For the Salad: Drain cherries, reserving syrup. Add enough water to syrup to make 3/4 cup liquid, if necessary. Cut cherries in half, and set aside.
- Dissolve gelatin in 1 cup boiling water. Add cherry liquid and wine; stir in applesauce. Chill until the consistency of unbeaten egg whites; fold in cherry halves and chopped pecans. Spoon mixture into a lightly oiled 4-cup mold. Chill until firm. Unmold salad and serve with mayonnaise dressing.
- For the Mayonnaise Dressing: Combine all ingredients; chill at least 1 hour.