1 hr 15 mins
Miss Debs of Colorado's Note:
This is something I discovered the other day when hubby came home and I hadn't started the pot roast in time. I had a very small 1.5lb chunk of pot roast (chuck) and very little time to do something with it. Feel free to dabble with it. Personally, it's the PORT that makes the difference on this one.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 -1 1/2 lb chuck roast, sliced to about 2-inch thickness
- 1/2 cup port wine
- 1/2-1 cup water
- 3 carrots, cut-up or 1 cup baby carrots
- 1 large onion
- 2 medium potatoes, unpeeled (any variety)
- 2 tablespoons paprika (used the freshest you can)
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 dash garlic powder
- 2 tablespoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon Lawry's Seasoned Salt (optional)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1Season meat on both sides and on the edges with seasonings.
- 2Brown meat on MED in the heaviest frying pan you have. You should have it just hot enough to hear it sizzle but not so hot that you can't leave without touching for about 5-7 minutes on each side. The trick here is to get it to brown. Try to avoid using a non-stick type pan. It will not give as good of crust. (personal experience). I use a small "Martha Stewart" cast iron frying pan that I got at Kmart for under $10. If your only pot that is heavy is a dutch oven then use it instead. The trick is to "sizzle it" for as long as possible without burning or turning it. The thicker and tougher it looks the better.
- 3Once the meat has browned sufficiently add the port and water just enough to barely cover the meat and cover. Continue cooking but lower the temp to as low as possible but still have it bubbling for 40 minutes.
- 4During the last 20 minutes at the veggies and try to wiggle them in to the sauce as much as you can. Add a touch more salt and water if you need to.
- 5Cover and continue cooking for 20 minutes.
Browse Our Top Roast Beef Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Port (Pot) Roast in a Pan for Two in a 1.5 Hours
Serving Size: 1 (765 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 2
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 788.0
- Calories from Fat 258
- Total Fat 28.7 g
- Saturated Fat 8.3 g
- Cholesterol 149.6 mg
- Sodium 7251.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 66.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 11.4 g
- Sugars 14.5 g
- Protein 55.2 g