Recipe by ~heidi~
the BEST topping for a plain or chocolate cheesecake. Tastes superb. Found this somewhere on the internet. This makes enough for almost 2 cheesecakes.
Top Review by jennyonthespot
Yum! I really enjoyed this. Not too sweet, not too tart. Great alternative to the canned cherry pie filling that you usually see on cheesecakes. I served this over New York Cheesecake (recipe #57205) and it was a big hit. I did wish it were slightly thicker. Next time I might add a little more cornstarch. Thanks for the recipe.
- 2⁄3 cup tawny port or 2⁄3 cup sweet red wine
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 2 (10 ounce) bags cherries, pitted & frozen
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 4 teaspoons cornstarch
- 4 teaspoons water
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine port, 1/2 cup sugar, cherries, and vanilla in a large saucepan; bring to a boil.
- Cook 5 minutes or until cherries are thawed and mixture is syrupy.
- Combine juice, cornstarch, and 4 teaspoons water, stirring with a whisk until well blended.
- Stir cornstarch mixture into cherry mixture, bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer 3 minutes or until mixture is slightly thickened and shiny.
- Remove from heat; cool to room temperature.
- Cover and chill.
- Serve over cheesecake.