Prep 2 mins
Cook 3 mins
Low fat, Low Gi, heart friendly breakfast.
- 2 tablespoons sliced almonds, toasted
- 2 1⁄2 cups water
- 1 cup traditional rolled oats
- 12 dried apricot halves, sliced
- 1⁄4 teaspoon mixed spice
- dark brown sugar, to serve
- ground cinnamon, to serve
- milk or soymilk, to serve
- Toast the flaked almonds in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat, stirring, for 1-2 minutes or until light golden. Remove from the pan.
- Combine the water, oats, apricots and mixed spice in the pan and bring to the boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to medium and cook, stirring often, for 5 minutes or until thick and creamy (see microwave tip).
- Stir in the almonds, then spoon the porridge into serving bowls. Sprinkle with a little sugar and cinnamon, and serve with milk or soy drink.