1 hr 30 mins
Translated from a Chilean cookbook. This is a great hearty vegetarian recipe made with navy or white beans. Plus, I like stews with squash. In Chile, the common squashes sold in the market places are very large gourds and pieces of it are sold instead of the entire gourd. The spices listed don't have quantities listed. I usually start with small amounts and add more later, when I can taste it.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 lbs navy beans or 4 lbs white beans
- 1 lb squash (pumpkin or butternut squash work well)
- 3 cups cooked corn
- 1 onion
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2 large tomatoes (I usually just use a can of tomatoes)
- 1 teaspoon paprika (approx. 1 teaspoon)
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 teaspoon cumin (approx.1 teaspoon)
- 2 teaspoons salt (2 teaspoons)
- 1/2 cup milk (I like using evapoated milk best) or 1/2 cup cream (I like using evapoated milk best) or 1/2 cup half-and-half (I like using evapoated milk best)
- 1Wash and soak the beans overnight. Alternatively boil water, tkae off the the stove and let beans soak in the boiled water for 1 hour.
- 2Clean and peal the squash, leaving it in large pieces.
- 3Peel and dice the tomoates, onions, and garlic.
- 4In a large pot, heat the butter. Saute the onions. When starting to look clear, add the garlic and tomatoes. Cook approximately 5-10 minutes, until everything is heated through and the tomatoes have started developing a creamy texture.
- 5Season the tomates and onions with cumin, pepper, salt, and paprika.
- 6Add the beans and pumpkin. Add enough water to cover all the ingredients. Bring to a boil and then simmer until the beans are cooked about 1 hour.
- 7Take the squash peices out and mash or grind them. Then place back in the pot.
- 8Grind the corn in a blender or food processor with the basil. Add it to the pot and cook for another 10 minutes or so. The starch from the corn should thicken the stew slightly.
- 9(Optional) At the end add half a cup of milk product to make things creamy. The fattier the milk product the tastier the beans.
Browse Our Top Stew Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Stew Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Porotos Granados Con Mazamorra (Chilean Vegetable Stew)
Serving Size: 1 (335 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 432.3
- Calories from Fat 40
- Total Fat 4.4 g
- Saturated Fat 1.5 g
- Cholesterol 5.9 mg
- Sodium 1151.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 80.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 27.0 g
- Sugars 5.8 g
- Protein 22.5 g