3 hrs 30 mins
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 6 lbs boneless pork butt
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 tablespoons fresh ground black pepper
- 12 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1/2 cup fennel seed
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 fennel bulb, finely chopped,feather tops saved for garnish
- 8 new potatoes, quartered
- 4 carrots, peeled and cut into 2 inch pieces
- 4 parsnips, peeled and cut into 2 inch pieces
- 2 onions, cut into 2 inch chunks
- 1Preheat an oven to 325 degrees F.
- 2Cut the roast in half lengthwise and open it like a book.
- 3Combine the salt, pepper, garlic, parsley, fennel seeds and olive oil in a small bowl.
- 4Rub the seasoning mixture all over the pork, pressing the fennel seeds and garlic into the meat.
- 5Spread the chopped fennel bulb over the meat, the fold the meat back together and tie it with a string.
- 6Place the meat in a roasting pan, cover and bake for 2 1/2 to 3 1/2 hours.
- 7Toward the last 40-50 minutes of cooking, scatter the potatoes, carrots, parsnips, and onions in the roasting pan around the meat, and continue to cook until pork is cooked through and falls apart when touched with a fork.
- 8Stir the vegetables now and then so they brown evenly.
- 9Allow meat to sit for 5 minutes on a cutting board.
- 10To serve, pull the pork apart (instead of slicing), and serve with the roasted vegetables.
- 11Garnish with feathery fennel tops.
Nutritional Facts for Porketta
Serving Size: 1 (500 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1012.5
- Calories from Fat 553
- Total Fat 61.4 g
- Saturated Fat 19.5 g
- Cholesterol 224.5 mg
- Sodium 847.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 43.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 9.1 g
- Sugars 4.0 g
- Protein 69.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included: