Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Cook2 hrs 30 mins
A blend of a recipe or two in which I liked the outcome. This was close to porketta that I have had over the years. Surprisingly easy to make.
- 2 tablespoons fennel seeds
- 2 tablespoons dill seeds
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon anise seed
- 2 teaspoons lemon pepper seasoning
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons Italian spices, Italian Seasonings
- 3 teaspoons black pepper
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 6 garlic cloves
- 4 lbs pork butt, boneless
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Place fennel, dill, anise seeds, dried oregano and salt in mortar and crush using a pestle (or place in plastic bag and pound) until most of seeds are crushed.
- Add all other dry seasoning and mix well.
- Wash and dry roast.
- I enjoy the spices that are both inside and outside on a roast. So, I slice roast in order to "unroll" the roast. (This all depends on thickness of roast. I get butcher to cut me a 4 pound roast and at this size there is enough meat to slice and roll out.) I cut down into roast and then start cutting in circle (I am no expert, but generally, I can get a roast to open up. And it does not need to be perfect!).
- Lay roast out flat.
- Insert whole garlic cloves into the meat (may need to slice open areas to crate a fold).
- Rub olive oil on roast, top and bottom. (Helps to hold the seasonings.).
- Apply seasoning to top (the inside of a rolled up roast), leaving enough seasonings to coat the outside of roast.
- Once seasoning applied to top (inside), roll up the roast and secure with twine.
- Apply remaining seasoning to outside of roast.
- Place in roaster/pan, (if there is fat on roast, place the fat side up) cover and place in refrigerator for two hours. (This step can be skipped and or extended longer).
- Add chicken stock to roaster/pan.
- Bake uncovered at 325 degrees for 30 minutes (to brown or crisp outside of roast).
- Cover and continue to bake at 325 degrees for 2 hours or until done (internal temperature of 160 degrees F) (I uncover for last 15 minutes to again brown or crisp outside of roast).
- Once done, remove from oven, place on serving tray and cover. Let sit for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Slice and serve, leftovers make for great sandwiches.
- You can add cut potatoes and carrots to roaster and season as you wish. I added them in last 1 - 1 1/2 hour of cooking time (depends on how soft ones like the vegetables).