Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This is a favorite dish of my husbands. I serve it with mashed potatoes. I use my own homemade sauerkraut but you can always use a bagged sauerkraut from the supermarket. Maybe stay away from the canned sauerkraut. Sometimes it is a little tinny tasting.
- 3 lbs pork loin roast
- 1 lb Polish kielbasa
- 2 lbs sauerkraut
- 24 ounces beer, what ever you have. i like yuengling lauger
- 1 large onion
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 cup milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄3 cup butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons fresh chives or 2 tablespoons parsley, chopped
- Place 1 bag sauerkraut in bottom of covered roaster.
- Place pork loin on top and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Cut keilbassi into chunks and scatter over sauerkraut.
- Top keilbassi with second bag of sauerkraut.
- Saute onion in olive oil till carmelized and place on top of pork loin.
- Pour beer around roast onto sauerkraut.
- Bake 350 degrees for 3 hours. We like ours falling apart so adjust cooking time to your preferance.
- Dumplings: After roast is baked to your standards: Mix dry ingredients then with a mixer beat in butter, milk and chives.
- Drop onto sauerkraut by tablespoons and bake covered for 10 minutes. Remove lid and bake an additional 10 minutes.