Prep 5 mins
Cook 20 mins
I came up with this recipe one night when it was my turn to cook and it ended up being a huge hit. It's so quick and easy that I have made it several times now. It also works well with chicken breasts. As a side dish, I usually serve it with some egg noodles and/or wilted spinach.
- 1⁄2 lb pork chop (usually 4 small thin slices)
- italian seasoning (I use kind in a grinder)
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons butter
- 4 garlic cloves, smashed and minced
- 1⁄2 cup red wine (you can use sherry in a pinch.)
- 3 tablespoons chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons reduced-fat cream cheese (I occasionally use reduced fat Boursin if I have it on hand.)
- 1 tablespoon dried tarragon (or 2 tbsp fresh)
- Before starting, heat the oven up to 350 degrees and put the cream cheese out so it will soften a little.
- Trim all fat off the pork chops. Pound thin to tenderize and sprinkle each side lightly with salt, pepper and italian seasoning.
- Heat up a frying pan to medium high. Once warm, add olive oil and butter. Add garlic and sautee until lightly brown.
- Place pork chops in center of pan and cook on one side until bottom is lightly brown and seared, about 2-3 minutes depending on thickness. Flip chops and cook for an additional minute or until cooked through fully. Be careful not to overcook.
- Remove chops from pan. Add red wine and chicken broth and bring to a boil.
- Add cream cheese to mixture and whisk in with a fork. Reduce heat and let simmer for 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Put chops back into pan and place in the oven for 10 minutes.
- Remove pan from oven and sprinkle with the tarragon, mixing thoroughly. Enjoy!
Yum! This was so quick and simple to throw together. I loved this - especially the sauce - but DH didn't like it as well as I did. I used a Cabernet and he didn't care for the flavor of the wine. I made this wih potatoes on the side, but will make it with noodles next time. The sauce would be very good with the noodles. Thanks for another winner Bakabeth.