Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
This casserole is a wonderful blend of flavors--sweet, sour, salty, and spicy. It goes well with rice. The recipe is adapted from Cooking in a Casserole by Robert Ackart (1973).
- 2 lbs pork shoulder, cut in bite-sized pieces
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried mint
- 24 dried apricot halves
- 1 teaspoon dill weed, dried
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups dry red wine (burgundy, pinot noir, merlot, etc.)
- Assemble all ingredients, and place them in a large 4.5-qt. casserole dish.
- Allow meat to marinate an hour or more in spices and wine if you have time as it improves flavor. Otherwise, skip and commence cooking.
- Cook the dish, covered, for 90 minutes at 350°F.