1/10 Photos of Pork, Veal, or Chicken Schnitzel
1 hr 5 mins
I have read the other schnitzel recipes listed but none of them are made exactly the same as the way I was taught by a German GuestHouse (like a inn in Germany)Owner when we lived there 1975-1978. All the tradition schnitzels I ate while there were made with either veal or pork. Many Americans make it with Chicken Breasts. I make it most often that way as well since it is cheaper and tastes just as good. If using pork or veal cutlets use one in place of each chicken breast mentioned below.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1also requires: 2 large pieces of wax paper for each breast used 1 large baking pan or cooky sheet in a 200-250 degree oven for keeping meat hot while cooking successive pieces.
- 21 piece of paper towel to put between layers of meat in the low hot oven to keep pieces from sticking together.
- 3Place a piece of breast in between 2 large pieces of wax paper.
- 4Using the smooth side of a meat tenderizer, pound until very thin.
- 5(Turn over so that you can pound on both sides of the meat.) The breast will become very large and you will actually be able to get at least 2 large servings from each breast.
- 6After pounding each piece of meat, place on a large serving plate without removing the wax paper and chill well in the refrigerator.
- 7When ready to cook do the following-- Place the eggs in a glass pie pan with the water, salt, and pepper and mix well.
- 8Place the flour in another container next to the seasoned eggs.
- 9Place the bread crumbs in another container on the other side of the seasoned eggs.
- 10Start heating up the cooking oil in a large frying pan on medium high heat.
- 11DO NOT get oil too hot-- but hot enough so that it will cook the meat quickly without burning either the meat or the oil.
- 12After removing the wax paper from each side of the meat, dip each piece of meat in the eggs, then the flour, then the eggs again, then the breadcrumbs.
- 13Fry until golden brown on each side.
- 14Place each piece of cooked meat in the oven using paper towel pieces to separate the pieces from each other.
- 15When finished cooking serve with slices or wedges of fresh lemon.
- 16NOTE** This meat dish is traditionally served with either pomme frits (french fries) or home fried potatoes and salad.
- 17I find it is good with most side dishes.
- 18It is such a favorite in our home that family members fight over the leftover pieces eating them cold right from the refrigerator.
Browse Our Top Chicken Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Pork, Veal, or Chicken Schnitzel
Serving Size: 1 (405 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1134.3
- Calories from Fat 592
- Total Fat 65.8 g
- Saturated Fat 10.0 g
- Cholesterol 261.5 mg
- Sodium 2932.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 88.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.7 g
- Sugars 3.7 g
- Protein 45.2 g