Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 25 mins
Cook 2 hrs
You can take a short cut by using unsalted corn chips ready made. This is not a hot, spicy recipe but you can heat it up by using hotter peppers and mixing some hot salsa
- 8 corn tortillas, cut in half then into 1/2 " strips
- 2 lbs boneless pork shoulder, fat removed and cut into 1 1/2 inch cubes
- 2 medium onions, sliced thinly
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 frsh poblano chiles, roasted,seededand deveined or 2 anaheim chilies
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin
- 1 (13 ounce) can tomatillos, undrained,chopped
- 1 cup cream
- 1⁄4 cup cilantro, coarsley chopped
- 1 cup monterey jack cheese, shredded
- 1 cup mild cheddar cheese, shredded
- 6 tomatoes, slices cut in half
- 1⁄2 cup light sour cream or 1⁄2 cup single cream
- fresh sprigs cilantro
- Stale tortillas are best for this recipe, in any case when you have cut the tortillas intp strips spread them on a wire rack and leave for a couple of hours Combine pork, 1 onion& salt in a saucepan, cover with water, bring to a boil and turn the heat down, continue simmering, covered for about 1 1/2 hours or until the meat is very tender Pour the veggie oil into a pan and heat it to 375F and fry the tortilla strips until crisp-you may have to add a little oil but wait until it is hot before continuing, place the fried strips on paper towels to drain Heat 2 tbsp oil in a skillet and add the remaining onion, saute until soft 4 minutes Add the chilies, garlic& cumin, saute 1 minute.
- Stir in the undrained, chopped tomatillos, bring to a boil and simmer covered 15 minutes Add creamo, cook uncovered over medium heat stirring frequently until the mixture has reduced to 2 2/3 cups about 12 minutes, stir in the cilantro Heat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Mix cheeses in a small bowl.
- Shred the pork (use 2 forks).
- Spread half of the tortilla strips on the bottom of a shallow 2 1/2 quart, greased baking dish, add layer of pork, cream mixture and cheese, in that order and then repeat the layers Bake until hot through and golden on top appx 30 minutes.
- Garnish with tomatoe slices and sour cream.