Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
Hawaiian-Asian comfort food so easy to prepare that any cook can make it. Goes well with a bowl of rice or as is.
- 2 lbs pork, chopped
- 1 (14 ounce) package tofu, cubed (semi-firm or firm)
- 2 fresh garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon ginger, minced
- 1 lb round onion, sliced
- 5 large fresh shiitake mushrooms, sliced
- 1 bunch green onion, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1 bunch watercress, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil (for frying)
- 1⁄2 cup soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons mirin (sweet cooking sake)
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons water
- Add vegetable oil to large pan to heat. Add ginger, garlic and pork. Brown pork then add round onion, mushrooms. Add sauce ingredients: soy sauce, mirin and sugar. Let simmer 20-25 minutes. Adjust sauce to nappe consistency, then add tofu, green onions and watercress. Simmer 5 minutes. Enjoy!
Very close to how I make. I do not thicken the sauce with cornstarch but a quick entree to serve on hot rice.