Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
Maggiano best Italian cook contest finalist from the rocky mountain news
- 1 large pork tenderloin
- 1⁄2 cup butter, room temp
- 1 tablespoon white truffle oil
- 1⁄4 lb mortadella, sliced thin
- 1⁄4 lb Fontina cheese
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 1⁄4 cup extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 1 shallot, minced
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup dry red wine
- 1⁄3 lb assorted mushroom, sliced
- 1⁄2 ounce dried porcini mushrooms (soaked in 1/2 cup warm water)
- Preheat oven to 325°F.
- Butterfly pork tenderloin and flatten with mallet until 1/4 inch thick.
- Tenderloin should end up approximately 12 inches by 8 inches.
- Blend soft butter with truffle oil divide in half and place 1/2 in refrigerator.
- Lay out tenderloin and spread 1/2 truffle butter and layer mortadella slices and cheese to 1 inch of the edges.
- With long side facing you roll tenderloin tightly and tie with butchers twine.
- Dredge with flour.
- Heat olive oil in large saute pan on medium high heat.
- Sear tenderloin on all sides.
- Remove loin from saute and place in oven while making sauce.
- In saute pan add shallots and cook till soft.
- Add 2 tablespoons flour and cook until smooth paste forms.
- Add wine to deglaze pan.
- Add assorted mushrooms saute until moisture is reduced about 5 minutes.
- Add porcini mushrooms with soaking liquid and simmer till slightly thickened.
- Check tenderloin and remove when it registers 155°F on a thermometer.
- Let rest 10 minutes covered with tin foil.
- Remove string and slice tenderloin on the diagonal.
- Serve plattered drizzled with sauce.