Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This is a great make-ahead recipe as everything can be assembled and frozen. Or just make up to the pork filling mixture, freeze, and assemble the recipe another day. Great to have on hand when there's little time to prep a great meal.
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 1⁄2 lbs ground lean pork
- 1 (12 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen corn, thawed
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon Tabasco sauce, plus additional to taste
- 1 tablespoon yellow cornmeal
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons double-acting baking powder
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted and cooled
- 3⁄4 cup milk
- 1 large egg, beaten lightly
- 3⁄4 cup grated cheddar cheese
- 1 (4 ounce) can green chili peppers, drained and chopped
- Make pork mixture: In a large skillet cook onion and bell peppers in the oil over moderately-low heat, stirring, until the onion is softened.
- Add the pork and cook the mixture over moderate heat, stirring and breaking up any lumps, until the pork is no longer pink.
- Stir in tomato sauce, paste, corn, cumin, allspice, chili powder, Worcestershire Sauce, 1 tsp Tabasco, cornmeal and season to taste.
- Simmer mixture, stirring occasionally, for 30 minutes, and add the additional Tabasco if necessary.
- Spoon mixture into shallow 2 ½ quart casserole.
- (may be made 1 day in advance).
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Make topping: Into a bowl, sift together flour, cornmeal, sugar and baking powder; add the butter, milk and the egg, and stir the batter until it is just combined.
- Stir in cheddar and chili peppers and drop batter by large spoonfuls around edge of casserole.
- Bake for 10 minutes then reduce heat to 350F and bake 30 minutes longer.