1 hr 20 mins
This is a great make-ahead recipe as everything can be assembled and frozen. Or just make up to the pork filling mixture, freeze, and assemble the recipe another day. Great to have on hand when there's little time to prep a great meal.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 lbs ground lean pork
- 1 (12 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen corn, thawed
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon Tabasco sauce, plus additional to taste
- 1 tablespoon yellow cornmeal
- 1Make pork mixture: In a large skillet cook onion and bell peppers in the oil over moderately-low heat, stirring, until the onion is softened.
- 2Add the pork and cook the mixture over moderate heat, stirring and breaking up any lumps, until the pork is no longer pink.
- 3Stir in tomato sauce, paste, corn, cumin, allspice, chili powder, Worcestershire Sauce, 1 tsp Tabasco, cornmeal and season to taste.
- 4Simmer mixture, stirring occasionally, for 30 minutes, and add the additional Tabasco if necessary.
- 5Spoon mixture into shallow 2 ½ quart casserole.
- 6(may be made 1 day in advance).
- 7Preheat oven to 400°F.
- 8Make topping: Into a bowl, sift together flour, cornmeal, sugar and baking powder; add the butter, milk and the egg, and stir the batter until it is just combined.
- 9Stir in cheddar and chili peppers and drop batter by large spoonfuls around edge of casserole.
- 10Bake for 10 minutes then reduce heat to 350F and bake 30 minutes longer.
Browse Our Top Savory Pies Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Savory Pies Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Pork Tamale Pot Pie With Cornbread Crust
Serving Size: 1 (414 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 754.1
- Calories from Fat 386
- Total Fat 42.9 g
- Saturated Fat 17.3 g
- Cholesterol 151.2 mg
- Sodium 778.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 63.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.9 g
- Sugars 12.7 g
- Protein 32.2 g