Prep 15 mins
Cook 10 mins
A really yum salad that is my new favourite. I found the recipe in the December 2008 "recipes +" magazine. Quick and easy to make and the taste is sensational. I also added avocado to the recipe and at one time added blanched asparagus that I needed to be used. I used telegraph cucumber and plain tomatoes as they are cheaper, but will post the recipe as it was originally published.
- 1⁄3 cup light sour cream
- 1⁄3 cup plain low-fat yogurt
- 1⁄4 cup lemon juice
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 300 g ground lean pork
- cooking spray
- 1 (35 g) packet taco seasoning mix
- 1 medium red onion
- 2 lebanese cucumbers, peeled and coarsely chopped
- 250 g cherry tomatoes, quartered
- 310 g corn kernels, drained
- 50 g rocket
- 120 g baked corn tortilla chips
- Whisk sour cream, yoghurt, juice and garlic in a medium jug.
- Spray pork with cooking oil. Heat a medium frying pan over a moderate heat. Cook pork, stirring to break up lumps for 4 - 5 minutes or until changed in colour. Sprinkle seasoning over pork, cook and stir for 2 - 3 minutes more or until cooked. Let cool slightly.
- Toss remaining ingredients in a large bowl. Add pork; toss to combine.
- Divide salad among serving bowls; drizzle with dressing. Serve at once.
Very fun and delicious salad! Made as directed, except sprayed the pan with cooking spray as opposed to the pork. Also, lined the salad bowl with the arugula instead of tossing within. Will probably use iceberg lettuce next time only because DH doesn't do arugula very well. Thanks, Kiwi Kathy! Made for Aussie New Zealand Recipe Swap #26.
Made for Aus/NZ Recipe Swap #25. This was excellent. We enjoyed the different mix of flavors in this salad. I've never had taco salad with cucumbers and corn in it. The only other think that I did different was to add some garlic dill seasoning and salsa to the dressing as it was a little bit plain for us. Thanks for posting this recipe Kathy!
This salad made a nice lunch today. I sprayed my cooking pan instead of the meat. I used mexican canned corn and lettuce and made as directed. The salad was delicious -- I didn't measure just fixed salad plates. We did need to add a little more zip to the dressing. I added fresh ground pepper and parmesan cheese. I put dressing on my salad and then added about 1 tablespoon of catalina bottled dressing. I think salsa would be a welcome addition also. Thanks for posting KK. We enjoyed your recipe. Made for Ausie Swap #24.