Recipe by TATYANA NGAI
I modified the original beef recipe that I got from about.com to add some variety to our dinner time. Enjoy!
- 1 lb pork, thinly sliced (sukiyaki cut in Asian markets)
- 16 ounces shirataki noodles
- 7 -8 shiitake mushrooms
- 1 bunch enoki mushrooms
- 1 medium leek
- 1 napa cabbage
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 3 tablespoons chinese rice wine
- 1 cup hot water
- 1 (1/3 ounce) packet instant dashi stock
- 4 eggs (for dipping) (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Soak dried shiitake mushrooms in cold water for 3 hours (30 minutes in hot water if you are in a hurry).
- Rinse noodles in cold water.
- Cut all ingredients (except noodles) into bite-sized pieces.
- Arrange all ingredients on a large plate and place the plate at the table.
- Mix hot water, instant dashi soup powder, soy sauce, sake and sugar to make sukiyaki sauce.
- After this point, everything is done at the table as you eat.
- Heat a little oil in a shallow skillet (or fry pan or hot plate) at the table.
- Fry pork slices, then add sukiyaki sauce.
- Add other ingredients when the sauce starts to boil.
- Simmer until all ingredients are softened.
- Dip the cooked sukiyaki into the raw, beaten eggs and begin to eat.
- As liquid boils away, add more sukiyaki sauce.