Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
This is an old family recipe that my mother made when I was a kid and dislike and now that I am over 50 years I make it for my family and the kid also not like it to bitter for their taste.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs ground pork, with fat
- 1 stalk green onion, minced
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄3 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons minced ginger
- 2 tablespoons lee kum kee panda brand oyster sauce
- 1 tablespoon lee kum kee black bean paste
- 3 tablespoons rice wine
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 medium bitter melons
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon lee kum kee panda brand oyster sauce
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sesame oil
- cornstarch roux
- In a wok fill about one third of water and cover and bring to a boil.
- On a cutting broad slice the bitter melon lengthwise and remove the seeds with a spoon and set aside.
- In a mixing bowl combine pork, green onion, egg, salt, pepper, sugar, ginger, oyster sauce, wine and cornstarch and mix together and divide the pork mixture into four and place the pork mixture into each shell bitter melon and place into bamboo steamer and cover into the wok with the boiling water for 20 minutes.
- In a saucepan add in the chicken broth, oyster sauce, onion powder and sesame oil and bring to a boil add in some cornstarch roux for from a light sauce.
- After the bitter melon is steamed remove from the bamboo steamer and plate the bitter melon onto a serving plate and top with the sauce.