Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr 5 mins
Sounds weird but one I want to try.
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 lbs boneless pork shoulder, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 yellow onions, quartered
- 2 carrots, cut diagonally into 1-inch slices
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup chicken stock or 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 cup beef stock or 1 cup beef broth
- 1 teaspoon dried sage
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- pepper, to taste
- 2 medium russet potatoes, peeled and quartered (about 1 1/2 lb.)
- 8 ounces medium mushrooms
- 12 dried prunes
- 2 tart apples, peeled, cored, and quartered
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 cup water
- In a large soup pot over medium heat, warm the oil.
- Add in cubed pork; stir/saute for about 5 minutes or until browned.
- Add in onions, carrots, and garlic; saute for 2 minutes.
- Add in stock, sage, allspice, salt, and pepper; bring to a boil.
- Lower heat to medium-low and simmer, covered, for 30 minutes.
- Add in the potatoes and mushrooms; bring to a boil.
- Lower heat to medium-low and simmer, covered, 20 minutes.
- Add in prunes and apples; simmer about 5-10 minutes or until meat, vegetables, and fruit are tender.
- For a thicker stew, blend flour and water in a cup.
- Stir mixture into stew for 2-3 minutes or until thickened.