Recipe by southern chef in louisiana
One pot meal.
Top Review by Malriah
I love walking into the house after a long day at work and smelling a pork stew bubbling away in the crock. The meat was very tender and the stew itself was so flavorful. The dumplings were interesting and tasty. My boyfriend really liked them. The only change that I made to the whole recipe is instead of cutting the pork up, I just cooked the roast whole. Thanks for a great recipe.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs pork roast, boneless
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 5 medium carrots, cut 1/2 inch pieces
- 3 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 1⁄4 cup tapioca (quick cooking)
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon thyme, dried and crushed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 (28 ounce) can tomatoes, cut up
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 1⁄2 cup cheddar cheese
- 1⁄3 cup cornmeal, yellow
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 dash pepper
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 2 tablespoons cheddar cheese, shredded (to sprinkle)
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut the pork into 1 inch cubes.
- In a skillet, brown the pork and the garlic in hot oil; drain well.
- Meanwhile, in a crock pot combine carrots, potatoes, water, tapioca, sugar, Worcestershire sauce, bay leaves, thyme, salt, nutmeg, and pepper.
- Stir in the browned meat and undrained tomatoes; cover and cook on low for 9-11 hours or on high for 4 to 5 hours.
- If the stew was cooked on low turn to high.
- Prepare the cornmeal dumplings.
- Remove the bay leaves and stir the stew.
- Drop the dumplings by the tablespoon onto the stew.
- Cover and cook for 50 minutes more (DO NOT LIFT THE COVER UNTIL TIME IS UP).
- Sprinkle the dumpling with cheese.
- For dumplings: in a medium mixing bowl, stir together flour, 1/2 cup cheese, cornmeal, baking powder, and pepper.
- Combine beaten egg, milk, and oil; add to the flour mixture; stir with a fork just until combined.
- Use in the pork stew for the dumplings.