Recipe by CandCrew
A hearty, simple crockpot stew that is tasty, filling and budget-friendly. Added bonus that it's gluten free if you use beef-base that is GF!!
- 1 1⁄2 lbs trimmed & cubed pork loin
- 4 russet potatoes or 4 red potatoes, unpeeled & scrubbed, cut into cubes
- 2 cups frozen green beans
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 3 cups warm water
- 3 beef bouillon cubes (see note) or 3 teaspoons beef base (see note)
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1⁄4 cup cornstarch
Directions See How It's Made
- Place pork, potatoes, green beans, onion, garlic, thyme & pepper in a 4-qt slow cooker.
- Dissolved beef bouillon cubes or base in 3 cups warm water. Pour over ingredients already in cooker.
- Cook on low 8-10 hours or high 4-5 hours.
- Mix 1/2 cup water & 1/4 cup cornstarch & add to slow cooker; stir to mix.
- Recover slow cooker. If cooking on low, switch to high. Cook for an additional 30 minutes to thicken.
- **Check the beef broth/bouillon for potential gluten-containing ingredients. If the product is made in the U.S. or Canada, the source of things like maltodrextrin will tell if it comes from wheat. If the source is outside the U.S. or Canada, assume the product contains wheat. Two cans of beef broth can be substituted for the water + beef bouillon/base. Add 1/2-1 tsp salt. Use 1/2 cup broth + 1/4 cup cornstarch to thicken.