Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Adapted from Not Your Mother's Slow Cooker. This is a very broth-y stew, but the aroma of it simmering all day is wonderful. I served this with Baked Wild Rice with Almonds.
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped
- 1 tart apple, peeled, cored, and chopped in 1-inch pieces
- 1 (8 ounce) can water chestnuts, drained & cut in half
- 1 1⁄2 lbs boneless pork shoulder or 1 1⁄2 lbs pork loin, cut in 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon rubbed sage
- 2 cups hard alcoholic cider (dry like Woodchuck Dark & Dry Draft Cider)
- Combine all ingredients in slow cooker.
- Cook on high for 20-30 minutes (if able), then turn to low.
- Cook on low for 7-9 hours.
- Serve in soup bowls over long grain rice or egg noodles.
This was a great dish to cook ahead. Had a full flavor and interesting ingredients. I found the cider a little overpowering, but believe this might simply be a personl perference for tartness.