Recipe by Mindi Bunch
My family loves this stew! It tastes great and warms the tummy on a cold afternoon. It comes from my favorite cookbook, 365 Favorite Brand Name Slow Cooker Recipes & More.
Top Review by :)Shirl(:
This is a wonderful meal to come home too. I did add a few things to make it more of a one pot meal. I added carrots and celery. Left out the oregano and added thyme and bay leaf. We like things heated up so added some crushed red peppers. Very nice one pot meal thank you!
- 29.58 ml vegetable oil, divided
- 1360.77 g fresh lean boneless pork butt, cut into cubes
- 2 medium white onions, thinly sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 4.92 ml salt
- 4.92 ml cumin
- 3.69 ml dried oregano leaves
- 226.79 g can tomatillos, drained & chopped or 236.59 ml husked and chopped fresh tomatillo
- 113.39 g canchopped green chilies, drained
- 118.29 ml chicken broth
- 1 large tomatoes, peeled and coarsely chopped
- 59.14 ml fresh cilantro, chopped or 2.46 ml ground coriander
- 9.85 ml lime juice
- 946.36 ml hot cooked rice
- 118.29 ml slivered almonds (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in large skillet over medium heat.
- Add pork; cook 10 minutes or until browned on all sides.
- Remove and set aside.
- Heat remaining 1 tablespoon oil in skillet.
- Add onions, garlic, cumin, and oregano; cook and stir 2 minutes or until soft.
- Combine pork, onion mixture and remaining ingredients except rice and almonds in crock pot; mix well.
- Cover and cook on low 5 hours or until pork is tender and barely pink in center.
- Serve over rice and sprinkle with almonds, if desired.