Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
I happened upon a package of pork steaks at the market last week. Each steak weighed at least two pounds! I thought, "what wonderful little roasts"! So I treated them that way, with a major result! Hope you'll try it!
- 2 lbs pork steak, ask for a thick cut
- 1 envelope dry onion soup mix
- 1⁄2 cup warm water
- 1 large vidalia onions or 1 large sweet onion, sliced
- salt and pepper
- Place pork steak in roasting pan.
- I use a two quart glass pan, but whatever works for you.
- Mix together dry onion soup and warm water.
- Pour over pork steak.
- Cover meat with raw onion rings.
- Sprinkle onions lightly with salt and pepper.
- Seal pan with aluminum foil.
- Place in center of 375° F.
- Bake for approximately one hour.
- I check the roast with a quick-read meat thermometer to make sure it's done.
I browned the steaks first and sauteed the onions in the pan and deglazed with white whine. Then I used chicken broth in place of water. It was excellent.
I followed the recipe as is and it turned out perfect. This was the most tender pork steak I've ever made. It literally fell off of the bone. Easy clean up since there was only one pan. This will become our only way to make pork steak in the winter when it's too cold to grill it.
This recipe is so easy and very tasty. I cooked only 1 pork steak but still used the full envelope of soup powder and 1/2 cup water. This gave a nice amount of gravy Also I popped two small potatoes in to cook with it - just great. Baked 1 hour. I don't care for Onion soup mix in crock pot recipes but it is wonderful in this recipe Thanks Recipewrestler for a keeper