Mom made this when I was growing up and a favorite among the seven of us. Mom would make it in a deep cast iron frying pan. She would have dad get his serving out and then the rest of us could eat, otherwise dad wouldn't get any. I will suggest something that you may think ewwwww....but try it. Serve this dish with celery stuffed with peanut butter. It is EXCELLENT.
- 1⁄4 cup mazola corn oil
- 1 1⁄2 cups diced pork steak
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 cup hot water
- 1 can drained lachoy bean sprouts
- 1⁄3 cup cold water
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 teaspoons lachoy soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon sugar (optional, I don't use this)
- Pour shortening into a hot skillet.
- Add the pork steak and seer quickly.
- Add onion and fry for 5 minutes.
- Add celery, salt, pepper and hot water.
- Cover and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add drained, LaChoy bean sprouts.
- Mix thoroughly and heat to a boiling point.
- Add flavoring and thickening ingredients.
- Stir lightly and cook 5 minutes.
- Can be served over LaChoy chow mein noodles, or over rice.