Recipe by Kittencal@recipezazz
Pork steaks baked in a delicious mushroom sauce, this is a must served with mashed potatoes, do not add in any extra salt to this recipe! I use one can each of golden mushroom *and* cream of mushroom soup, but that is optional, this recipe may be doubled but will require a larger baking dish
Top Review by Chef Grammaw
Well I'm glad I tried your recipe Kitten, it made for a great dinner along with mashed potatoes, green beans and biscuits.I thought I had cream of mushroom soup ,but little did I know that my hubby had eaten it so I used what I had on hand cream of celery. I proceeded with the recipe as written. My hubby and 21 yo daughter said they really like it ,I enjoyed it too so needless to say I'll be making this again Thanks for a great recipe.
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 4 pork steaks
- garlic powder
- black pepper
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 lb fresh mushrooms, sliced (can use more if desired, or use 2 cans sliced drained mushrooms)
- 2 tablespoons fresh minced garlic (or to taste)
- 2 (10 3/4 ounce) cans cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
- 1 cup milk or 1 cup water
- 1 (1 ounce) can dry onion soup mix
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper (or to taste)
Directions See How It's Made
- Grease a 13 x 9-inch baking dish.
- Heat oil and butter in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Season the pork steaks with a little garlic powder and black pepper; add to the oil and brown for about 3-4 minutes; transfer to prepared baking dish (do not drain the oil and butter in skillet).
- Sprinkle the chopped onion around the pork steaks.
- Add in sliced fresh mushrooms to the skillet and cook until the mushrooms loose their moisture (about 6 minutes).
- Add in fresh garlic and cook stirring for 1-2 minutes; transfer the mushroom/garlic mixture to a large bowl; add in both cans soup with milk or water, dry onion soup mix, Worcestershire sauce and 1/2 teaspoon black pepper; mix with a wooden spoon until well combined.
- Pour on and around the steaks then lift and turn the steaks to coat with the mixture.
- Cover the pan with foil and bake in a 350 degrees F oven for about 1-1/2 hours or until the steaks are tender.