Cook1 hr 15 mins
This recipe sounds like a lot of work, but it just the old fashion method of braising. The meat is so tender, and the onions, are sweet in taste. A really large electric fry pan, works the best. I sometimes add sour cream to the liquid, the last 10 minutes or so, for an even richer taste.
- Season both sides of pork steaks with salt, pepper and garlic powder to taste.
- Spray electric fry pan or very large skillet with cooking spray.
- Heat to 375 degrees.
- Brown both sides of steak.
- When meat has been browned and starts to stick a bit, add two cups water.
- Cook for 15 minutes.
- Add water as it slowly cooks down.
- Always scraping up browned bits.
- Cook another 15 minutes, turning if necessary.
- Cover all the meat with onions.
- Add water again to keep level at 1/2 inch or so.
- Cook 15 minutes, turn meat, poke onions into liquid.
- Add more water if necessary.
- Keep cooking until onions are cooked all the way down, almost carmelized.
- Let liquid cook almost all the way down, again.
- Add just a cup of water.
- Scrap all bits and remove from pan.
- Serve with onions and juice on top.