Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
So good broiled, wonderful luncheon or dinner with a Greek salad and rice pilaf. adapted from Canadian Living mag. (cook time includes 10 minutes marinating time) The photo shows them in a pita, have tried them both ways in and on, equally good either way, also so good just over rice, preferable brown rice.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs boneless pork loin or 1 1⁄2 lbs pork tenderloin
- 1⁄4 cup lemon juice
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves, smashed
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 3⁄4 cup prepared tzatziki, sauce (make your own, recipe in'zaar)
- 6 Greek pita breads
- Trim and cut pork into 1 inch cubes.
- In large bowl, whisk together lemon juice, oil, garlic, oregano, salt and pepper.
- Add pork and stir to coat.
- Marinate for 10 minutes (make ahead: cover and refrigerate for up to 24 hours).
- evenly thread pork onto six 8 inch skewers; place on foil lined baking sheet.
- Brush with marinade.
- Broil 6 inches away from heat, turning halfway through, until just a hint of pink remains inside, about 12 minutes.
- Spread tzatziki over each pita.
- Remove pork from skewers and place on pitas; fold over.
This is how Souvlaki should taste and how I remember eating it in Greece, we only didn't have the sunshine to go with it! Made Souflaki before but used too many other herbs I think. In this recipe the oregano is prominent and we found that gave it a very authentic flavor. Cooked them in the grill pan on the stove top and served them with a Greek salad, pita and Tzatziki Thanks Derf, another good recipe to go on the barbeque this coming summer!
Fabulous! I marinated these for 36 hours and cooked them on stove top on my very hot grill; just a few minutes. Served it with Rice pilaf and my Greek Village Salad. Next time I will make it outside on the grill. Best ever Souvlaki!
These were super good! I thought I was in Greek Town. I did add about 1/4 cup red wine (saw in a different recipe) and grilled instead of broiled. Made this (#80959) tzatsiki sauce added some chopped roma tomatoes. This dinner really hit the spot.