A very tender and flavorful dish that is easy to prepare. Make sure you use a pork butt roast or shoulder roast. Pork loin will come out dry and tough using the provided baking times. Citrus ingredients can be lowered for less citrus flavors.
- 2 -3 lbs pork shoulder or 2 -3 lbs pork butt
- 1 medium onion, sliced thick
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1 tablespoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon black peppercorns
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons rosemary
- 1⁄2 orange, juice and zest of
- 1⁄2 lemon, juice and zest of
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1⁄4 cup white wine
- 4 large yukon gold potatoes
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt or 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon rosemary, chopped
- If your roast has a complete top layer of fat trim off excess amounts and score the top in a checker board pattern.
- Using a sharp knife make several shallow cuts about 1/2 inch deep on each side of the pork.
- slice 3 garlic cloves into spears and insert them into half the cuts on the pork.
- Spread the onion slices on the bottom of a glass roasting pan.
- Place the remaining marinade ingredients in a food processor and process to make a paste.
- Rub pork should whth the mixture all over, making sure that it goes into the cuts.
- Place pork on top of the onion slices.
- Cover with plactic wrap and place in the refrigerator for at least 4 hours, turn at least once when sitting.
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.
- cut the potatoes into desired size.
- Toss in medium mixing bowl with melted butter or olive oil, salt, and rosemary.
- Lay around pork roast.
- Cut the apples into eighths and lay around the pork with potatoes. (these can also be added after one hour of cooking for a more firm texture).
- Place in oven, make sure the fat side is up.
- Cook for 30 minutes, then lower heat to 325 degrees F and roast for 2 more hours.
- Baste with it's own juices every 30 minutes.
- Check temperature after 1 and 1/2 hours at 325.
- Cook until internal temperature reaches 150 degree F.
- Remove from oven and let the roast rest covered for 15 minutes before cutting.
- Potatoes may be cooked at 400 degrees F while roast is resting to brown up more. (optional).