A very tender and flavorful dish that is easy to prepare. Make sure you use a pork butt roast or shoulder roast. Pork loin will come out dry and tough using the provided baking times. Citrus ingredients can be lowered for less citrus flavors.
- 2 -3 lbs pork shoulder or 2 -3 lbs pork butt
- 1 medium onion, sliced thick
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1 tablespoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon black peppercorns
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons rosemary
- 1⁄2 orange, juice and zest of
- 1⁄2 lemon, juice and zest of
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1⁄4 cup white wine
- 4 large yukon gold potatoes
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt or 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon rosemary, chopped
- If your roast has a complete top layer of fat trim off excess amounts and score the top in a checker board pattern.
- Using a sharp knife make several shallow cuts about 1/2 inch deep on each side of the pork.
- slice 3 garlic cloves into spears and insert them into half the cuts on the pork.
- Spread the onion slices on the bottom of a glass roasting pan.
- Place the remaining marinade ingredients in a food processor and process to make a paste.
- Rub pork should whth the mixture all over, making sure that it goes into the cuts.
- Place pork on top of the onion slices.
- Cover with plactic wrap and place in the refrigerator for at least 4 hours, turn at least once when sitting.
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.
- cut the potatoes into desired size.
- Toss in medium mixing bowl with melted butter or olive oil, salt, and rosemary.
- Lay around pork roast.
- Cut the apples into eighths and lay around the pork with potatoes. (these can also be added after one hour of cooking for a more firm texture).
- Place in oven, make sure the fat side is up.
- Cook for 30 minutes, then lower heat to 325 degrees F and roast for 2 more hours.
- Baste with it's own juices every 30 minutes.
- Check temperature after 1 and 1/2 hours at 325.
- Cook until internal temperature reaches 150 degree F.
- Remove from oven and let the roast rest covered for 15 minutes before cutting.
- Potatoes may be cooked at 400 degrees F while roast is resting to brown up more. (optional).
Hubby was expecting my usual chili verde when I told him I was cooking pork shoulder for dinner. Surprise! This is a really, really tasty dish, and I didn't even marinate the pork because I didn't have time. Just spread the seasonings over the meat and popped it in the oven. I agree with the other reviewer about cooking the meat for a shorter time because ours was a little more done than we prefer. But the potatoes and apples had fantastic flavor and texture (the apples nearly melt during cooking). Very easy to prepare. I'll be making this again!
Fabulous pork roast! The marinade flavoring is absolutely delicious and works so well with the pork. I used a 3 lb. pork loin. I cooked it at 450 degrees for 30 min. and then an hour and a half at 325 degrees. Next time, I will only cook it for an hour at the 325 degree mark because ours was a little too well done (although the flavor was still superb!). I opted to omit the apples and add another potato, due to family preferences. After the pork was done, I took it out to let it rest and upped the oven temp. to 450 again to brown up the potatoes for an extra 10 minutes (another family preference). That said, this is a fantastic recipe that I will make my number one choice for pork roasts! ~Made for Spring 2009 Pick-A-Chef~
My bf and me give this 5 stars for the flavor, alone, very complex but very good! The flavor on the meat was excellent, but very different with the potatoes and apples. Some of the herbs go great with potatoes and some of the other flavors go great with apples, but together, it is different. Our pork shoulder was unfortunately very fatty. I used a nearly 5lb roast that was bone-in. I doubled the garlic, cumin, salt, rosemary, and used a peppercorn medley (doubled), used 2 small granny smith apples, 3 med russet potatoes, chicken broth for white wine (doubled); basically doubled everything but the potatoes, apples, and zests and juices; 30min at 450 and about 1 1/2 at 350 before the desired temp was reached. Thanks for sharing! :)