Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
I'm not sure if this is authentically German, but with pork, beer and sauerkraut it's close enough for me. This is excellent served over spaetzle.
- Render the fat out of the bacon, then cook until crisp.
- Removed the bacon from the pan, without draining oil.
- Saute the onion in the bacon fat until nicely caramelized.
- Add the pork strips and brown on all sides.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Add garlic about 1 minute before the pork is done.
- Add the sauerkraut and saute about 10 minutes, until the sauerkraut starts to brown and wilt a bit.
- Sprinkle the sugar over the sauerkraut and mix in.
- Mix the paprika into the beer, and add to the pan.
- Cook until most of the beer has evaporated.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve with reserved bacon crumbled on top.
This was so unusual and good! I served it over spaetzle like you suggested, I think it would have been overwhelming without a starch. Thanks!
Jim, this is a great recipe. It really tasted very good. Made it just as you had it. Thank you for sharing.
This is very good. I love fried/sauteed sauerkraut. I didn't have any paprika so I had to omit it. I am going to try it with the paprika. I used "regular" beer instead of lager beer I think the beer neutralizes the sourness in the sauerkraut. I also used boneless prok ribs which I had cut into strips. I will be making this again. I was looking for a different way to use sauaerkraut and am glad I found this recipe. Thanks Jim for sharing your recipe