Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
I'm not sure if this is authentically German, but with pork, beer and sauerkraut it's close enough for me. This is excellent served over spaetzle.
- Render the fat out of the bacon, then cook until crisp.
- Removed the bacon from the pan, without draining oil.
- Saute the onion in the bacon fat until nicely caramelized.
- Add the pork strips and brown on all sides.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Add garlic about 1 minute before the pork is done.
- Add the sauerkraut and saute about 10 minutes, until the sauerkraut starts to brown and wilt a bit.
- Sprinkle the sugar over the sauerkraut and mix in.
- Mix the paprika into the beer, and add to the pan.
- Cook until most of the beer has evaporated.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve with reserved bacon crumbled on top.