Prep 10 mins
Cook 8 hrs
- 32 ounces undrained sauerkraut
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons sugar
- 12 ounces dark beer or 12 ounces ale (I use a dark Mexican beer)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 4 lbs pork roast, of your choice
- Mix the sugar throughout the sauerkraut.
- Pour undrained sauerkraut on the bottom of your slow cooker.
- Next, pour dark beer over sauerkraut.
- Blend together the salt, garlic powder, black pepper, and paprika.
- Rub spice mixture onto roast.
- With fat side up, place pork roast in the middle of slow cooker.
- Cook on Low for 8 to 10 hours or High for 5 to 6 hours.
We had this for New Years. I added 2 Tbsp. of brown sugar and a large chopped up sweet onion to the sauerkraut and following Tanyas advice I sprinkled on caraway seeds before adding the pork. I used 12 oz. of my hubbys homemade beer. I also cooked this in the oven for 6 hours @ 300F. I have always put the kraut on top of the roast, I really like cooking the meat on top cause the pork keeps some of it's own flavor. Thanks
I cut up some potatoes and stuck a layer between the sauerkraut as well. I use brown sugar and I also sprinkle some caraway seeds over the top layer for extra flavor. My mom used to make this and I was craving it... thanks!