Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
The recipe starts from scratch, but this could easily work with leftovers. From "Food and Wine" magazine. Sandwiches can be wrapped and stored in the refrigerator overnight.
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 pears, peeled cored and sliced thin
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄3 cup cider vinegar
- 3⁄4 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 3⁄4 teaspoon fresh ginger, grated
- 3 slices bacon
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 1⁄2 cups sauerkraut, drained
- 3⁄4 cup pear puree (see note) or 3⁄4 cup applesauce (see note)
- 1 teaspoon caraway seed
- 2 1⁄2 lbs pork tenderloin, in 3 pieces
- 2 French baguettes, halved lengthwise
- 1 1⁄2 ounces Baby Spinach
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F; prepare a roasting pan for the pork.
- In a medium saucepan, heat 1 tablespoon oil over high heat; add pear slices and cook, stirring occasionally, until golden, about 4 minutes.
- Add brown sugar, vinegar, mustard seeds, and ginger; reduce heat to medium low and simmer until slightly reduced so it resembles jam, about 30 minutes, then let cool.
- Meanwhile, in a skillet, heat 1 tablespoon oil over medium heat and cook the bacon until crisp, about 5 minutes; remove and chop.
- Add onion to the skillet, cook over medium heat until softened, 6 minutes; add sauerkraut, cook, stirring, until most of the liquid has evaporated, 3 minutes.
- Add pear puree (or applesauce), caraway seeds, chopped bacon and cook about 1 minute; transfer to a bowl to cool.
- Wipe out the skillet and heat remaining tablespoon of oil,over medium high heat; season the pork on all sides with salt and pepper.
- Brown, turning occasionally, on all sides, 6 minutes.
- Transfer pork to the roasting pan and cook to an internal temperature of 140 degrees F, about 10 minutes; let cool on a cutting board.
- Slice into 1/4-inch slices.
- Spread sauerkraut relish along the bottoms of the baguettes; top with pork slices and season with salt and pepper.
- Top with pear chutney and spinach; close sandwiches and cut into 8 sandwiches.
- NOTE: To make pear puree, you can drain a 15 oz can of pears and puree in a blender or food processor.