Recipe by Jewelies
Our favourite pork roast
Top Review by JennyLynn99
We need a 10 star option. Amazing! By far the best pork I have ever had, let alone made. I use a pork loin when I make this. There are only 2 of us so it's still enough food, and I can make it in about 45 minutes that way. (Roasting pan, uncovered, 2- 2.5 lbs, about 400*, about 45 minutes - We like our pork really done). The only other thing I change is that I use Syrah or Malbec from Frontera. It's pretty cheap but really tasty. We get a double bottle and serve it with dinner also. Anyway, this recipe is definitely restaurant quality and makes the perfect at-home date night. We usually have it with a salad and a rice dish, and oh yeah, plenty of wine!
- 1 1⁄2 kg boneless pork loin roast
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 onion, sliced
- 6 cloves garlic, whole,unpeeled
- 2 cm ginger, peeled and finely grated
- 1 sprig rosemary
- 1 whole star anise
- 1⁄3 cup port wine
- 1⁄4 cup dark soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon tamarind paste
- 2 tablespoons light brown sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 140 C (280 F).
- Brown pork all over in oil in casserole dish.
- Transfer pork to plate.
- Fry onion slowly in same pan.
- Pour off excess oil, leaving onion behind.
- Return pork to dish.
- Add remaining ingredients and season with pepper.
- Bring to boil, cover and transfer to oven.
- Cook for around 3 hours turning occasionally until meat is very tender, and cooked through.
- Set pork aside.
- Skim as much fat as you can from juices, strain.
- Slice the pork thickly and drizzle with a little of the cooking juices.