1 hr 10 mins
southern chef in louisiana's Note:
We serve this with the leek strudel and finish with pumpkin bread pudding with caramel sauce for an elegant autumn dinner.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/4 cup butter, plus
- 1 tablespoon butter, room temperature
- 1 tablespoon cracked white peppercorns
- 4 1/2 lbs boneless pork loin roast, rolled and tied
- 1 tablespoon whole mustard seeds
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons golden brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme, crumbled
- 1 tablespoon cracked black peppercorns
- 1 tablespoon cracked dried green peppercorn
- 1For Pork Roast: Position rack in lowest third of oven and preheat to 475°F Add 1 tablespoon butter to a heavy large skillet over medium-high heat and roast and cook until brown, about 4 minutes per side. Remove from skillet. Cool 10 minutes. Transfer to roasting pan.
- 2Combine remaining 1/4 cup butter with mustard seeds, flour, sugar, mustard, thyme, and peppercorns in bowl. Spread paste oven top and sides of roast. Roast 30 minutes. Reduce heat to 325 degrees.
- 3Continue cooking about 1 hour 20 minutes. Transfer roast to cutting board and tent with foil. Transfer 2 tablespoons drippings in pan to heavy small saucepan; discard remaining drippings.
- 4For Cider Gravy: Heat roasting pan over medium-low heat. Add cider and boil until liquid is reduced to 3/4 cup scraping up any browned bits, about 8 minutes. Stir in apple jack, boil 1 minute.
- 5Heat drippings in saucepan over medium-high heat. Add flour and stir until golden brown, about 2 minutes. Whisk in cider mixture and stock. Simmer until thickened, stirring occasionally, about 2 minutes. Remove from heat. Mix in vinegar and mustard. Season with salt and pepper. Carve roast and serve with gravy.
Browse Our Top Pork Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Pork Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Pork Roast With Peppercorn-Mustard Crust and Cider Gravy
Serving Size: 1 (459 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 689.1
- Calories from Fat 349
- Total Fat 38.8 g
- Saturated Fat 11.6 g
- Cholesterol 243.1 mg
- Sodium 413.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 6.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.9 g
- Sugars 1.7 g
- Protein 74.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included: