1/1 Photo of Pork Roast W/ Sauerkraut Excellante
4 hrs 35 mins
This recipe was given to me from my bro-in-law. It makes the pork roast juicy and the sauerkraut is so tasty sweetened this way by the juices from the pork roast. Buy fresh sauerkraut or the kind that is packaged in plastic bags, it's much crisper than the canned type. I always get asked for the recipe.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 1/2-5 lbs boneless pork roast
- 2 (2 lb) packages sauerkraut, rinsed and drained
- 4 tart green apples, such as Granny Smith, peeled, cored, and cut into thick slices
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2/3-3/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar (depending on the sweetness of the apples)
- 2 teaspoons prepared mustard
- 1 teaspoon caraway seed
- 3/4 cup dry white wine
- 1Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- 2Rub the pork roast with salt and pepper, and put it in a large roasting pan and put in the oven, turning it to brown on all sides(approx. 20-30 minutes).
- 3Remove the roast and lower the oven temperature to 250 degrees.
- 4Scatter the sauerkraut all around the roast.
- 5In a bowl, mix together the apples, onion, sugar, mustard and caraway seeds.
- 6Sprinkle this mixture over the sauerkraut and drizzle the white wine over all.
- 7Cover and roast at 250 degees for about 4 hours or until the pork is well done yet very tender, do not let the pork dry out (if there was not too much fat on the roast you may want to moisten it with additional wine).
- 8Let the roast stand outside the oven for 10 minutes before serving.
Browse Our Top Pork Loins Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Pork Loins Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Pork Roast W/ Sauerkraut Excellante
Serving Size: 1 (628 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 701.7
- Calories from Fat 221
- Total Fat 24.5 g
- Saturated Fat 8.8 g
- Cholesterol 219.3 mg
- Sodium 1666.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 39.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.6 g
- Sugars 29.6 g
- Protein 75.1 g