Recipe by candlelady9ah
This recipe was given to me from my bro-in-law. It makes the pork roast juicy and the sauerkraut is so tasty sweetened this way by the juices from the pork roast. Buy fresh sauerkraut or the kind that is packaged in plastic bags, it's much crisper than the canned type. I always get asked for the recipe.
- 4 1⁄2-5 lbs boneless pork roast
- 2 (2 lb) packages sauerkraut, rinsed and drained
- 4 tart green apples, such as Granny Smith, peeled, cored, and cut into thick slices
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2⁄3-3⁄4 cup firmly packed brown sugar (depending on the sweetness of the apples)
- 2 teaspoons prepared mustard
- 1 teaspoon caraway seed
- 3⁄4 cup dry white wine
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- Rub the pork roast with salt and pepper, and put it in a large roasting pan and put in the oven, turning it to brown on all sides(approx. 20-30 minutes).
- Remove the roast and lower the oven temperature to 250 degrees.
- Scatter the sauerkraut all around the roast.
- In a bowl, mix together the apples, onion, sugar, mustard and caraway seeds.
- Sprinkle this mixture over the sauerkraut and drizzle the white wine over all.
- Cover and roast at 250 degees for about 4 hours or until the pork is well done yet very tender, do not let the pork dry out (if there was not too much fat on the roast you may want to moisten it with additional wine).
- Let the roast stand outside the oven for 10 minutes before serving.