Prep 30 mins
Cook 6 hrs
This came from the Canadian Living Slow cooker recipe book. It is tasty and easy, and a way for me to get my onion hating dh to eat onions!
- 1⁄2-1 teaspoon whole cloves
- 4 lbs pork loin, bone-in rib end
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 4 medium onions, chopped fine or sliced
- 1 teaspoon cumin or 1 teaspoon caraway seed
- 2 cups chicken stock (or 1 c stock & 1 c white wine)
- 1 (5 1/2 ounce) can tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 bay leaves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup cornstarch
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1⁄4 cup fresh parsley, minced (optional)
- Stick cloves into pork, sprinkle with pepper.
- In a large skillet, heat half the oil on medium -high and brown pork on all sides (10 mins).
- Move pork to the crock-pot. Pour off fat in pan.
- ONION GRAVY; heat the rest of the oil in the skillet, saute onions and cumin seeds until golden.
- Add stock, (wine), tomato paste, vinegar, garlic, bay leaves and salt. Mix thoroughly, and bring to a boil. Scrape into crock pot.
- Cook on low until pork is tender - about 6 hours.
- Transfer pork to a plate, tent with foil.
- Skim off any fat from the gravy. Whisk cornstarch with water and stir into gravy. Increase heat to high and cook, covered until thickened, about 15 minutes.
- Discard bay leaves. If you would like a smoother gravy, use a stick mixer and give the gravy a wiz! Stir in the parsley (optional).
- Serve pork with gravy. Goes great with mashed potatoes!